- Author: Jodocus & Sons Hondius
- Date: 1595
- Medium: Hand-colored copperplate engraving
- Condition: Excellent
- Inches: 20" x 14 3/4" overall
- Centimeters: 51.28 x 37.82 overall
- Price: $795.00
L'Archevesche de Cambray, Published by Henricus Hondius, of the great map-making firm Jodocus Hondius & Sons, Amsterdam, which helped establish Amsterdam as the center of 17th century European cartography.
Originally erected in the 6th century as the Diocese of Cambrai, the jurisdiction was immense, and included even Brussels and Antwerp. The creation in 1559 of the new metropolitan See of Mechlin and of eleven other dioceses was at the request of Philip II of Spain in order to facilitate the struggle against the Reformation. The change greatly restricted the limits of the Diocese of Cambrai which, when thus dismembered, was made by way of compensation an archiepiscopal see with the dioceses of St. Omer, Tournai and Namur as suffragans. By the Concordat of 1802 Cambrai was again reduced to a simple bishopric, suffragan to Paris, and included remnants of the former dioceses of Tournai, Ypres, and St. Omer. In 1817 both the pope and the king were eager for the erection of a see at Lille, but Bishop Louis de Belmas (1757-1841), a former constitutional bishop, vigorously opposed it. Immediately upon his death, in 1841, Cambrai once more became an archbishopric with the diocese of Arras as suffragan.
In the center of the map is Cambray with Bouchain and Thun a bit to the north center. On the left center is Arras and on the right is Landrecys. Right under the mileage chart is Valencenne. A decorative coat-of-arms rests in the lower left corner.
Reference: Wikipedia article Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Cambrai
More Images by Jodocus & Sons Hondius